11/03/2010

Page Turners

I don't know why, but I foolishly started reading The Hunger Games last night. I'd been warned it was good. Anthony read book 1 on a flight to Germany, book 2 on the flight home and neglected the kids for an entire Saturday while I was gone so he could finish book 3. It's not like I have that kind of time. So why did I even start? Maybe I thought I was stronger than that. Maybe I haven't read a good page-turner for a few months and I'd forgotten the ocean-tide-like pull. Actually, I just wasn't expecting it to be that addicting. I started last night and was able to put it down for bed when I finished 'Part I'. I woke up this morning and spent the entire rest of the day neglecting the kids and the house till I finished the book around 5:30pm. For some reason the kids were extra extra good today and I managed to get away with it. I'd take a picture of our tornado house but it's all too embarrassing.

But, this has me thinking - what are the best page turners you've read, recently or not? Here's my list, though I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

1. The Hunger Games (I don't think I've ever ever done a 1-day read like this)
2. Angels and Deamons
3. Ender's Game (The first page turner I ever read back in 9th grade)
4. Harry Potter book 1 (The other 6 weren't quite as "new" as that very first for me)
5. Twilight (and Stephanie Meyer's other 4 books, although caveat: I was pregnant when I read them so I was only too happy to indulge in an escape!)
6. The DaVinci Code
7. The Dark Divine
8. Echo (an unpublished book by Brodi Ashton - I can't wait for Everneath to come out next year)

What am I forgetting? What is your top ten?

11 comments:

Amber said...

I agree with some of your page turners. Unfortunately, I could never get into Twilight, so that didn't make my list. Ironically, one book that did make my list is "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Veistures. It's the autobiography of a guy who climbed all the 8,000ers (any mountain above 8,000 meters....I think there's 14). I know, it sounds sooooo boring, but I LOVED it. I couldn't put it down and then I couldn't stop talking about it for like a month. It was very interesting all the mountain climbing facts and also very inspiring. Honestly I still find it strange that I was so hooked.

Michelle M said...

I also completely neglect my family and responsibilities when I'm in a good book, but it doesn't happen too often. I've been urged to read the Hunger Games, and also warned about it- ha ha. Derrick and I did a book-exchange: he read Twilight for me, and I read Ender's Game for him. I was surprised that I really liked Ender's Game! And yes, Twilight and all of Stephanie Meyer's books are my favorites. I'm not usually an avid reader, but I indulged with her books.
One small series I can recommend is the "Wings" series by Aprilynne Pike. She has the first two books of this series available, with two more coming. It has a Twilight feel to it, except it deals with fairies and trolls (instead of vampires and werewolves- ha ha). I'm sure it sounds weird, but I had ZERO interest in a book about vampires until after I read it!

Julie said...

I read the Twilight books each in one day. This was when Jonathan was already working in UT and I was by myself in Oregon.

Melissa said...

I also neglected house and children for a day to finish one of the Hunger Games books. I think what also makes those books page turners is the fact they are easier reads as well. Sometimes after classics and books that make you think etc., I think it's so nice to pick up a book like that that is an easy read but also has a great story line and just breeze through and enjoy it.
And if you liked Ender's Game you should try the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I personally thought Hunger Games was a mix between Ender's Game and the Uglies, with it's own twists thrown in.

Heidi said...

Looks like I have a couple new books to try!
Melissa-funny you should mention the Uglies. I just "met" Scott Westerfeld at a book signing last week (I picked up Leviathan). He gave a very funny speech and I'm excited to read his stuff.

nbarnes2 said...

hmmm.. i love a book post. i read a lot of old books though. i loved gone with the wind, david copperfield, uncle toms cabin, the help, my sisters keeper,

Heidi said...

Natalie-I'm always impressed by a classics reader - are they "page turners" for you?

Bridget said...

Heidi, I am not usually a science fiction fan (more of a classics reader) but my husband talked me into reading a book by a BYU Creative Writing Professor, Brandon Sanderson called "Mistborn." It is one in a trilogy and has a "Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins" feel to it. I honestly didn't think I would like it, but I couldn't put it down and am now looking forward to the next one. I actually think you would really like it. Check it out. What is the Hunger Games about?

Larry and Michelle Dickinson said...

I agree with Bridget. One of my favorite series is the Mistborn series!!! I LOVED them! Actually, I like all of his books, but those especially.

Debbie said...

I am not a reader and have not read a novel since the kiddo was born. But my all time favorite book is probably Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Mario Puzo's (The Godfather author) Omerta is worth the read as well. And I love that Ender's Game is on your list, it definitely makes mine!

Cranberryfries said...

I can't believe you started it! And I'm glad you're liking it.

I've seen Brandon Sanderson around at all my book things since he's pretty huge in the national market (he's finishing The Wheel of Time series so he's gotten even bigger lately) but I haven't read his stuff yet.

Matched (Ally Condie) comes out at the end of Nov. If you liked HG you'll like this. It's totally suspenseful but in a calm way. Wild I know! :)

I liked the Mortal Instrument series (Casandra Clare) but I'm pretty sure it's because I knew a piece of the puzzle before starting them.

I didnt see Fablehaven on your list. You liked it but just not as page turner worthy?